Transitioning

transition_pic Transitioning is the process where you grow your chemically straightened/relaxed hair out to allow your natural hair texture to emerge. After I decided to start transitioning from relaxed to natural hair, finding the stories and advice from others who have done it too has been a great asset.
First, this will be my attempt to document my journey of transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. If my information can assist others in their journey, by sharing what products I used and how they worked for me and my hair type (not really sure of type)…even better!!

Background
My hair has been relaxed for about 26 years. While my hair looks thick, it is somewhat thin and curly. This is another reason why I decided to go natural. My edges get very frizzy, even when I did use gel, I sometimes could not get them to lie down. I think my hair is a bit on the stubborn side.

My decision
Early May 2011, was my last relaxer. I didn’t want to do the big chop when I first came to my decision, but now trying to deal with both textures I am really considering it.
So I decided to let my new growth grow in for as long as I could while keeping my straight hair.

I mostly just wear it in a pony tail (my go to style). I am doing “twist-outs” and other curly styles. Some have worked, and some not so much J . Nevertheless, it is a learning experience, and I will enjoy every minute.

I always deep condition and I shampoo every 2 weeks. If you start reading different blogs and forums you’ll often come across the word “co-poo”. This method of washing using conditioner rather than shampoo is fantastic; especially for a conditioner junkie, and of course for the hair. Not to mention, your hair and scalp still smells and feels clean.

There are several resources for information on transitioning from relaxed to natural hair.
 

Based on personal transitioning experience! 
Go to YouTube and do a search for “natural hair journey”. You will likely find someone on there with the same hair type as your hair; or not, but there will definitely be enough information there to get you started. While, I like listening to the different opinions, I usually do what works for me. In addition to natural hair care, most of the sites have makeup videos as well.
A few of my favorite YouTube bloggers/vloggers
Search the Internet for natural hair blogs.
A few sites that are helping me with my transition are:
My first piece of advice to anyone who reads this, always use conditioner. Whether your hair is relaxed or natural, never ever skip conditioning your hair. I happen to love conditioner; the thicker the better, so this was not a problem for me. 

My second piece of advice, while it is nice to see and hear everyone experiences, it is your hair so make sure you do what is best for you.

Wish me luck, and I will do the same for you.

Popular Posts