Summer 2012 Favs - Skincare

Although there have been a few “summer like” days, officially summer 2012 has come to a close. With the summer at an end I thought it would be a good idea to share some of my summer favorites. Being the product junkie that I am, and in true to form the list is rather long. Breaking down the list seemed easier and gives the illusion of not being the product junkie that most assuredly I am. There will be a post for makeup, skincare, hair care…etc.

Admittedly, I have used several products during the summer months, either through testing or sheer curiosity, but there were a few products I found myself grabbing for more than others.

Now where to start?

Okay, Let’s start at the beginning.

For most of us it all begins with our skin care regimen. Proper skin care is an important first step. Unhealthy skin tends to appear washed-out and dull, whereas healthy skin appears glowing and vibrant. Without a proper skin care routine, wrinkles are more likely to develop and sink deeper if your skin is dehydrated and unhealthy, and it can result in uneven patches that have a blotchy skin tone. When skin is unhealthy it loses elasticity, which can make it sag and appear thin, and let’s face it that’s really not a good look.

For some, proper skin care means cleansing and moisturizing properly. Most skin care professionals will suggest to avoid using hot water when you wash your face, as the heat sucks moisture from your skin, and to try using warm or cool water instead. In addition, to avoid harsh or chemical-heavy soaps since they will strip the moisture from your skin. Keep your skin moisturized by applying a moisturizer within a few minutes of bathing. If you have a problem with dry skin, use an oil-based lotion on the problem area several times a day.

Skincare related products I found that worked for me during the hot and humid summer days: 

Clarisonic Mia – I received the Clarisonic as a gift and I ABSOLUTELY love my Clarisonic. Since using the Clarisonic Sonic Skin Cleansing Systems, I have not noticed any of the normal summer breakouts. My skin feels smoother and softer.
Despite the fact the Clarisonic is expensive it is worth the investment. However, if you can convince someone to buy it for you…EVEN BETTER :-)

Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub – In search for an inexpensive alternative to the Philosophy Purity face wash (which I love). I purchased the facial scrub from CVS. I am glad I gave the product a try; the particles are not densely packed so it does not feel like using a brillo brush on your face,  the scrub is gentle and non-irritating that mildly exfoliates. However, the smell is not a favorite; in my opinion, it smells kind of plastic almost like that new doll smell. I still was able to use the scrub daily in the shower, and have finished the container and planning to purchase another one.

Simple Facial Wipes - These wipes are perfect. They have the right amount of moisture, not too dry, no smell to speak of, and are very easy to use and store. The wipes are refreshing and non-drying. Moreover, I like the fact that they are easy to use and don't require water. They are great for carrying around in your purse for a quick refresher during the hot summer days. The wipe also removes waterproof eye make-up without being harsh.

Origins Clear Improvement - Easy to apply, either apply after getting out of the bath or shower while you pores are open, or you can use a moist warm towel to open your pores before evenly spreading it all over your face. Let it dry completely and upon rinsing it off your skin feels clean and pores are visibly reduced This mask softens and soothes my skin, and my pores look less visible after using it.

Origins Balanced Diet Moisturizer: Expensive, but worth it. This moisturizer is wonderful, feels very light and refreshing. Combats that summer oily skin that you may experience, and most importantly does not cause break outs.

Meaningful Beauty Wrinkle Smoothing Capsules: Although I have not noticed any wrinkles to speak of, I do love the product as a very light face primer. On a few occasions, I used the smoothing cream by itself and was perfectly happy with the velvety feel on my skin. Not greasy, and one of the little capsules covered my face and neck without problem.


While my skincare regime has been simple during the past months, it has also been quite effective. My skin has been free of break outs, moisturized and glowing.
Let me know what skincare products you used during the summer that assisted in keeping your skin glowing during the summer.

Next post - Summer 2012 Favs - Hair Care

Popular Posts